Sunday 31 July 2011

Mini Bear making - Back stitch

My mini bears are best sewn together using back stitch, in the stabbing method.  This means that the upward stitch is made first, and then followed by the downward stitch - not down and up in the same stitch.  This method is a bit slower, but the result is a firmer, stronger seam that can withstand some pressure during the turning and stuffing process, and enables you to sew smaller stitches.

I hope  my photos can demonstrate this clearly. 

Come up, one stitch length away from the
previous stitch


Take needle back down again
 where the previous stitches end.


The backing threads on the fabric are a good guide to keep your stitches the same length, and the same distance from the edge.

The following picture shows the method of back stitch used on surface embroidery.


Traditional back stitch

I have stitched some felt together using both methods in a contrasting colour thread-
The stabbing version on the left and traditional back stitch on the right. 




Notice the difference when the fabric is stretched open - this happens during the stuffing process.  I highly recommend the stabbing method for best results - you want your bear to look his best!

The next post will show a mini bear all stitched up and turned.
Cheers, Jan

P.S.  I'm not sure what happened to the colour in my last photos!  I might need to talk nicely to my camera for the next pics.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...