Wednesday 27 July 2011

Mini Bear making - Pattern layout and cutting

So many people think that miniature things are easier to make.  I have had comments that my bears are so small that it would only take a few stitches and it's finished.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I make my mini bears in exactly the same way as bigger bears - the only difference is that my stitches are a lot smaller, my tools are finer, and it takes a lot more patience, especially with the very little ones. 

For this reason, I've decided to show my bear making process in this blog, and then list the resulting bears in my Etsy shop.

My bear designs are similar, but not exactly the same.  Different fabrics can affect the final result - size and shape, texture and colour.  I also make small adjustments to my patterns too - the length and width of arms, legs and paws, bent or straight, slender or rotund tummy, long or short snout, wide or narrow head, large or small ears, eyes and nose.  So even with one pattern, many different and unique bears can be made.  Therefore, no two of my bears are identical, and all have their own personalities.

When I have decided on a design and fabric, I cut out the pattern pieces from thin card, and trace around them onto the back of the fur fabric.  It's important to know the direction of the 'pile' (fur), so that your finished bear is smooth to stroke, like a real bear.  Ultrasuede, which I use for the paw pads and inner ears, also has a 'pile'.  It's softer on one side than the other, and if you rub your fingernail across the surface, one way is smoothest, the opposite direction will lift up the pile.

Pile direction
The picture shows the pile in a downward direction.  The backing is visible at the top, and the fur is overlapping the backing at the lower edge.  I use a pin on the back, to show the direction of the pile, while I'm tracing the pattern pieces.

For a basic bear you need 21 pieces altogether.  Two side heads, one reversed, 1 head gusset, 2 ears - fur, 2 ears - ultrasuede, 2 body pieces, one reversed, 2 outer arms, one reversed,  2 inner arms, one reversed, 2 paw pads, one reversed - ultrasuede, 4 legs, two reversed, and 2 foot paw pads - ultrasuede.

Trace pattern onto back of fur fabric
I use gel pens to draw my patterns, in a colour that is visible, but not bright.  Always count the pieces, and ensure that you have reversed the pattern where necessary - before cutting out any of the pieces.

Be careful to only cut the backing fabric and not the pile.  With short pile fabrics, it's easy to take a large sweeping cut, and end up with a bald patch on your bear.  It's worth taking your time.  For accuracy, I cut exactly on the inner edge if the drawn lines, which removes the pen markings, and the pieces are the same size as the pattern.

A mini bear ready to sew
Next post - back stitching the pieces together.

After my last post, I have found a lot of other crafty bloggers who are inspired by their grandmothers.  To all grandmothers, a heartfelt thankyou for keeping craft alive, and please continue to teach, encourage and inspire, as only grandmothers can.

Bye for now, Jan

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing these posts on how you make your bears! I found your blog through your etsy shop and I really want to buy your pattern for your mini bear. but I know that the smaller things are, the harder it can get. I will be keeping a watch out for further posts to see if this is something that I will be able to do.

Jan Was said...

I will be giving a few tips on the blog, but it will mostly be an outline of the process. My best advice would be to have good lighting, and a magnifier makes the process easier and more accurate. If you have any particular areas of concern, please let me know and I'll try to cover it in my blog, or convo you directly. I'm always happy to help.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...