Friday 23 September 2011

Mini Bear making - Ladder stitch

At last I have some time for another post.  This time - Ladder Stitch.  After your bear parts are stuffed, it's time to close up the openings.  Ladder stitch is very secure and invisible, if done correctly.  I have used a contrasting colour thread so the stitches are visible in the picture, but of course I use a matching colour on actual bears.

The important things to remember are -
  • Stitches should be evenly spaced - one stitch length
  • They should be an even distance from the edge of the fabric
  • The rungs of the 'ladder' should be parallel to each other

Ladder Stitch





Start with a large knot in your thread - you don't want it to pull through when you tighten the stitches.

Take stitches from alternating sides of the opening, back and forth, until you reach the end.









Ladder Stitch 2







Try not to disturb the backing threads on the fabric too much, because this will weaken your seam.













Stitching complete

For larger bears, the seam is closed gradually, as you stitch, but in mini bears, there will be too much stress on the fabric. In any case, the opening is too small, so I prefer to close the seam after I have completed all the stitching.


The seam pinched and stitches pushed in





I pinch the limb firmly to take the stress off the seam, and use the side of the needle to push the stuffing, stitches and sides of the fabric into the limb.  While still pinching, I slowly, but firmly, pull up the stitching, until the seam is fully closed.








Closed seam





The picture shows the closed seam.  Even the dark thread is difficult to see.  Those last few stitches will disappear after I have tied the thread off, and buried the end inside the limb.

Just a quick word about stuffing.  Please don't use ginned cotton to stuff mini bears that will be string jointed - It is nearly impossible to get the needle through.  Even noses and eyes are difficult to attach if using cotton.






We're nearly there!  Next time, ears, eyes and noses. 

I promise to post sooner next time.  Happy Crafting!  Bye for now, Jan

2 comments:

funny-bears said...

Hi Jan,

thank you for all this good informations for making minibears.
I love minibears but I have many problems to make it.
Your information help me to make the little bear.;-)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Sincerely funny-bear (Petra)

Jan Was said...

Thanks for your comments, Petra. I am very happy to be able to help. Please contact me if you need more information.

Best Wishes, Jan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...