Thursday 4 August 2011

More Bears from my Collection

The bear that was used in my logo is called Thomas.  I originally made him to sell, but he had a wonky leg.  I only sell bears that are as perfect as I can make them.  I keep the others, and sometimes make them into patterns.  I had more of the mohair, so I made a smaller version.  Both have wobble neck joints which allows them to be posed in different ways.  Thomas is 23cm (9") tall, and Tommy is 18cm (7") tall.  They look like a father and son, and enjoy each others company. 

Thomas and Tommy
I used Schulte Antique Sparse Mohair in the Burnt Gold colour, that I bought from Gerry's Teddy and Craft Designs some years ago.  The reference number is AspG24.  I have bought some more of this fabric since then, but the new mohair does not have the lovely rich golden colour.  There has been a lot of interest in these bears, so if anyone knows where I can get this fabric, in it's original colour, I would be very interested.

Gerry had a bear making challenge about 7 years ago, before I started selling my bears.  I entered 5 bears, and was awarded 5 blue ribbons.  One of my bears, Sarah, also won the 'Best in Section' rosette.

Sarah
All her clothing and accessories were also made by me.  I remember being very proud of her standing on the display with her rosette.  I won a Merrythought bear with another of my entries, so over all, a very successful day for me.  The feedback alone is invaluable, and a great boost to the confidence! 

Cheers, Jan

2 comments:

Tracey Feeger said...

I love your bears. I have just 'discovered' bear making and it is a thrill to see your blog. Do you do classes...???

mwah
Trace

Jan Was said...

Hi Tracey, thanks so much for your kind comments. I don't do classes at the moment, but I am happy to help through this blog. It's great to have another bear maker on board! Cheers, Jan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...